An independent materials testing lab analyzes the sample using industry-approved techniques and tools. The test results give project managers and other leadership personnel an insight into the specifications of their material, including quality, composition and presence of contaminants.
McCreath Laboratories’ family of independent ISO/IEC 17025:2017 accredited facilities have over a century of experience providing physical and chemical testing on various raw and manufactured materials. Our team of experts will perform an inspection and collect a representative sample of your stockpile material. Then we will use our advanced instruments and technology to yield the produced and certified results you need. Testing of materials is designed to support evaluations of material quality, composition, performance, contractual and regulatory compliance.
Both our field and completely in-house testing options give raw material producers, industry purchasing agents, material quality engineers, plant operators and other project managers and personnel accurate and timely data to make vital decisions on the use of their materials. We give our clients complete confidence to efficiently and economically keep their materials and business moving forward.
Methods and Techniques
Our state-of-the-art main mineral inspection laboratory located in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, is equipped with the most modern array of analytical instrumentation for the precise determination of a variety of physical and chemical properties. We utilize a combination of classical analytical techniques and advanced instrumentation to develop the most accurate analysis of your materials.
Our degreed and knowledgeable staff of chemists and technicians are experts in the use of both modern analytical and instrumental methods. They also have a thorough comprehension of the proven classical wet and gravimetric methods that have served as the benchmarks and arbitrates of our industry for decades.
We offer a multitude of testing options to best serve the needs and requirements of our clients. Our capabilities include the full compositional analysis, trace elemental and contamination analysis and physical testing on various materials. Our Gary, Indiana solid fuels laboratory is a fully equipped and modern preparation and testing facility that offers a complete suite of testing options. It employs fully compliant ASTM and ISO standard methods to serve the area’s refinery, power generation and bulk terminal operations.
From percent to part-per-billion, we have your number.
Innovative Testing Methods
Since our founding in 1877, McCreath Laboratories has strived to be on the cutting edge of analytical technology. Our founder, Andrew S. McCreath, was one of the first chemists to be employed by a steel producer in the U.S. and pioneered modern chemical analyses and techniques in the production of specialty steel.
Today, McCreath Laboratories strives to continue his innovative legacy by using the most modern and precise analytical instrumentation. Our independent materials testing laboratory relies on classical quantitative and classical qualitative methods to determine particular specifications. We are skilled in the following techniques, all of which are accepted industry practices designed to fully meet and exceed our clients’ needs:
- Mass and X-ray spectroscopy
- Potentiometric and volumetric titrations
- Ion column
- Combustion analysis
- Specialized equipment
For whatever material test you require, our laboratory technicians have the necessary experience to yield accurate results that will drive educated decision making. Many of our staff members are seasoned professionals heavily involved in international standard committees, such as the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). In these roles, they are key in the maintenance, revision and development of the same analytical methods that we employ in our laboratories.
State of the Art Instruments and Machinery
McCreath Laboratories has built a reputation for over a century of providing our clients with the most accurate and precise analytical results in our industry. Our mineral testing laboratory includes tools for material sampling, which we will use on all materials, including stockpiles with discrepancies during the inspection. Our independent testing laboratories have an extensive collection of primary standard reference materials covering most of the variety of materials in which we are required to test. All of our instruments operate under the quality assurance standards in the industry.
We can perform all tests in our laboratory with no need for outsourcing. Our extensive independent testing services make us one of the most recognized laboratories in the country. Each method we employ is exhaustively qualified, performed on meticulously maintained and calibrated instrumentation by fully trained and certified technicians and analyzed along with all relevant reference materials. This dedication ensures your complete confidence in the quality of the results provided. A Certificate of Analysis from McCreath Laboratories has been known to increase the value of a cargo of raw materials.
All results produced by our laboratories are performed on state-of-the-art instrumentation, according to internationally recognized standard methods and backed by a documented total quality system fully accredited to ISO/IEC 17025:2017.
Why Choose an Independent Testing Laboratory
It is essential to test your materials thoroughly to ensure they are ready for use or consumers. While it may seem more efficient and cost-friendly to perform your material testing in-house, choosing an independent testing laboratory offers many benefits, such as:
- An unbiased second opinion from a third party: A material tested by a third-party company is more credible to consumers and retailers. Sending your product to a well-known, reputable independent laboratory such as McCreath Laboratories will prove to consumers that the brand and materials are safe to use.
- More affordable than an in-house lab: By using an independent testing laboratory, you share the cost of lab operation with other companies. Using third-party laboratory testing also eliminates the financial burden of accreditation.
- Receive results faster: Independent testing laboratories employ professionals and feature the latest technology and other high-end resources to streamline products. McCreath Laboratories will also develop and maintain a timeline to ensure you receive your results on schedule.
Learn More About Our Independent Laboratory ServicesLearn More
Request McCreath Laboratories to Test Your Materials Today
McCreath Laboratories is one of the most recognized analytical laboratories in the United States. Our many clients benefit from our:
- Years of experience: The McCreath Laboratories name has been known throughout our industry for more than 143 years, providing quality testing services to the metallurgical, solid fuels and raw material handling industries.
- ISO accreditation: Our laboratories continually strive to exceed the stringent quality requirements of our full accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2017, along with demanding the highest standards of integrity and workmanship from our personnel. We are verified by a third party to ensure our compliance.
- Unbiased third party status: McCreath Laboratories is a completely private owned third-party entity that does not have any interest or investment in your metallurgical analysis results other than your complete satisfaction. This status means that our opinion is independent, unbiased and reliable for all involved parties.
- Many locations: McCreath Laboratories has various locations throughout the United States, enabling prompt and efficient response to any requests for service. We have labs in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania — our headquarters — and other locations around the United States, including New Orleans, Louisiana, Baltimore, Maryland, Ghent, Kentucky, Toledo, Ohio and Chicago, Illinois.
Contact our highly skilled team on our website to learn more about all the offerings at McCreath Laboratories. To submit a sample, complete our sample submission form online. Our staff will respond promptly to assist with your requests.Speak With Our Experts
Materials We Test
McCreath Laboratories offers diverse inspecting, sampling and testing capabilities. With over 140 years of independent laboratory testing experience, our team can provide guidance for creating a testing regimen for any product or raw material. Many substances we test, such as steel and foundry, are in cars, appliances, windows and other daily items.
Below are some but certainly not all of the materials that McCreath Laboratories routinely services for our clients.
- Charge chrome
- Ferrochrome silicon
- Ferro manganese
- Ferro niobium
- Ferro phosphorus
- Ferro sulfur
- Ferro nickel
- Magnesium ferrosilicon
Metals and Ores
- Metal scrap
- Pig iron
- Direct reduced iron
- Hard briquetted iron
- Manganese metal and electrolytic flake
- Aluminum metal
- Manganese ore
- Chrome ore
- Iron ore
- Nickel cathodes
Other Foundry and Miscellaneous Materials
- Chromite sand
- DeOx powders
- Fly ash
- Injection carbon
- Mold powders
- Silicon carbide
- Soda ash
- Tundish flux