Ferronickel is a ferroalloy composed of nickel and iron. Composition percentages can vary, ranging anywhere from 20% to 40% nickel. Production methods for this nickel alloy can also vary, though the most common approach is calcining iron- and nickel-bearing laterite ore in a kiln. The ore is then smelted in an electric furnace. The amount of carbon in the calcine feed will affect the composition.
Ferronickel supports products with magnetic, electronic and catalytic properties with applications in engineering, construction, transportation and electronics manufacturing. Possible use cases include batteries and gas turbines. Ferronickel is also used to manufacture nickel alloy steels and austenitic stainless steels.
McCreath Laboratories specializes in material verification. With our ISO/IEC 17025:2017 accredited testing laboratory, we conduct various chemical and physical tests to determine material composition and verify ferronickel status. Testing methods can include:
- Dimethylglyoxime gravimetric tests
- Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP)
- X-ray fluorescence spectrophotometry (XRF)
We use state-of-the-art instruments to conduct these tests and apply industry quality standards to guarantee accuracy. Our ability to conduct all processes under one roof ensures all stages uphold our high precision standards.
In addition to our laboratory services, our professionals can complete the sampling process. When sampling a material stockpile, the sample must adequately represent the whole. Industry standards define sampling best practices to ensure the testing sample represents your bulk material. Our trained and certified professionals use a systematic process to sample your ferronickel for testing.
McCreath is one of the few testing providers in the nation with a mobile vehicle for precision sampling. Our involvement in this process ensures the accuracy of our laboratory tests.
We also support decision-making in organizations with material inspections and consultations. Our professionals can confirm the weight and density of materials to protect your investment. We also work with your team to solve problems in your material handling processes.
Contact Us TodaySpeak With An Expert
Work With McCreath Testing Experts
Work With McCreath Testing Experts
- Unbiased, third-party results: As an unbiased third party, our results are valuable for all stakeholders. Trust our precision testing for your material handling at any stage in the supply chain, and confidently make decisions to protect your investment and reputation.
- Experience: We have over 140 years of industry experience. Working in materials testing for over a century has empowered our team with clear processes and systems for material verification. Our methods are strictly regulated to deliver accurate results.
- Qualified professionals: McCreath has curated a team of technical and material professionals with relevant degrees and experience. We also hold these experts to our high standards of consistency and precision to ensure testing method validity.
Multiple locations: We have multiple locations in the U.S., including our headquarters in Harrisburg, PA. Our national reach makes our services accessible to your operation and allows us to work with fast turnaround requirements.Send Us Your Ferronickel Sample
Contact Us for Ferronickel Verification
Our industry experience and commitment to precision ensure validity for all nickel alloy testing. Contact us today to schedule services with our team. To send a sample to our laboratory, use our submission form.
Element Technique Instrument Reference Method
Total Ni Titration N/A Dimethylglyoxime
Fe Titration N/A In-house
P, Mn, other traces ICP Thermo ICAP In-house
Si Gravimetric N/A In-house
Carbon Combustion Leco CS 744 ASTM E1019
Sulfur Combustion Leco CS 744 ASTM E1019